Sport at New College
New College's Sports Ground is about four minutes' walk from College, off St. Cross Road, alongside Weston Buildings accommodation. Facilities at the ground include pitches for football, rugby, and hockey, a basketball court, a squash court, a hardcourt tennis court and a small gym/erg suite. During the summer, there is a very good cricket square plus several grass tennis courts (as well as the single all-weather hardcourt one). In addition, the punts and croquet set become available in the summer. The pavilion at the ground, which doubles as our MCR, is complete with showers and changing facilities, and New College also has a boathouse on the Isis. For a bit more information, please see http://www.sport.ox.ac.uk/sport/new-college/. If you have any further questions, please contact your MCR sports rep, Aaron Hundle (usual @new.ox.ac.uk).
Squash and Tennis Ladders
!! NOT UP TO DATE !!
If you are interested in competing against your fellow MCR members (all for good fun):
* Register at http://www.squashpoints.com with your Oxford email address
* Search Competitions with the key words 'New College'
* Click on either 'New College MCR Squash Ladder' or 'New College MCR Tennis Ladder'
* Click on 'Join'
* Wait for the administrator to approve your request
* Read the FAQ and let the games begin!
The six grass tennis courts are not able to be booked, running instead on a 'first-come-first-served' basis in Trinity term and the summer.
Booking the squash court and the hard court
Booking for the squash court and hard court can now be done online! You can also continue to book through the porters in the lodge who will place your booking on the online system for you. Please do not book a court more than a week in advance of when you'd like to use the court. Here's how to make an online booking:
1. Login to the New College MCR Sharepoint using your Oxford SSO (https://sharepoint.nexus.ox.ac.uk/sites/newcollege/MCR/default.aspx)
2. Click 'Squash and Hard Court Bookings' on the left hand side to bring up the calendar
3. Find the date you wish to play and check there are no bookings which clash with your desired time slot
4. Double click on that date and fill in the event accordingly including your name somewhere e.g. 'Title: Squash - Rupert Allison, Location: Squash court, Time: 14:00-15:00', or 'Title: Hard Court - Rupert Allison, Location: Hard court, Time: 14:00-15:00'
5. Click 'save' and the event will now appear on the calendar
6. Just turn up at the Weston lodge to pick up the court key prior to your booking - the porter will check you've booked the court using the Sharepoint calendar.
(N.B. if you are having issues saving events while using Internet Explorer 10, please either use a different browser or see the announcement on the MCR SharePoint homepage for a solution within IE10)
Once you've made your booking just drop by the lodge at the beginning of your slot to pick up the court key.
Punts may be booked at the Weston porters' lodge from the day before intended use. They are typically available in 3 hour slots (12-3, 3-6, 6-9). Each New College member can book 1 punt (i.e. booking multiple punts requires there to be multiple New College members in the group).
The punts themselves are located on the far side of the sports grounds, at Weston buildings.
For further information on punts, please see http://www.sport.ox.ac.uk/sport/new-college/.